Sony announced that the new system firmware of Playstation 4.50 will be released on March, 9. The new system firmware will bring many features.
1. External HDD Support
2. Custom Wallpapers
3. Quick Menu Refresh
4. Simplified Notification List
5. Post on PlayStation Network Activity Feeds
6. 3D Blu-rays on PlayStation VR
7. Improved 2D Images on PS VR
8. Voice Chat for Remote Play
9. Off Console Availability
10. Boost Mode (for PlayStation 4 Pro only)
The most important feature in this update is Boost Mode for PlayStation 4 Pro only. It improves performance on most games when using the updated system instead of the Pro only helping with games that have been optimized for it.
With this update, PS4 supports voice chat when using Remote Play on Windows PC, Mac or an Xperia device. And it also improves the resolution of the system screen displayed on your TV when you’re out of VR mode.
In this post, an instruction will tell you how to update your PS4 console to a specific firmware, without having to update to the latest firmware which enables users not to jailbreak their console. It works for all the firmware.
A Flash USB of 1GB at least
A PS4 on a FW lower than the one you want to update (Sorry, not downgrading on this one)
The update file (Link in the first step)
1. Download the firmware you want to update in a PUP file, check this page. Rename the file to”PS4UPDATE”
2. Please backup your USB. Format it to FAT32
3. Create a new folder in your flash USB called”PS4″
4. Open the ps4 folder and create a folder called “UPDATE”
5. Copy the file “PS4UPDATE” to UPDATE folder
6. Shut down completely your PS4
7. Put your finger like if you were turning the console, but release it when you hear two beeps.
8. Connect your Flash USB to the PS4, then connect your ps4 controller to PS4 WITH use cable. Press the PS button.
9. Select the “Update FW” Option and select via USB drive
10. Follow the steps on screen, and select”Okay/Accept” in everything
11. The PS4 will reboot a couple of times , and guess what, you have updated your PS4 successfully.
Source: How to: update to a specific FW on PS4(works for UPD 4.0.1)
Half month ago, Playstation opened a beta for upcoming PS4 system firmware update 4.0. If users has been selected to the beta, they will enjoy the new features in advance. Sony official team gives some details about new features with PS4 4.0.
1. UI Refresh
There are some changes in PS4’s main user interface: such as new system backgrounds and a revised What’s New tab, to smaller changes like updated popup notifications and redesigned system icons.
2. Quick Menu
The menu will only cover part of screen which means you can get information with no need to back to home screen. You can see the online status of your friends, and shortcuts to quickly access your Party, Favorite Groups, Communities, and more.
3. Folders and Library Organization
Users can create folders on PS4’s content launcher and Library which allows users to find his games quickly.
Users can unload longer video clips to twitter, view the Trophy offline. The look of user profile has been updated.
source: Playstation blog
Great news. PlayStation Team open a Beta Trial for PlayStation 4 System Software 4.0 and announce this news in this official site. Many players are really excited about it as if they are selected to test the beta, they will experience some of the improvements and new features of PS4 V4.0 in advance.
If you want to join this beta, you need to register to be a beta tester anytime before the start of the beta in early August.If you are selected, you will receive an email with beta instruction. During the beta, tested can discuss the new features and problem with other testers.
Source: Playstation blog
From wololo.net, there is a new release about PS4-full Linux distrib allows you to run Steam + some other cool features. It must be ran with firmware 1.76 PS4. Here is the tutorial of how to install the Linux distrib.
Pre-configured linux distro, based on Fedora 23 with kernel patches from Fail0verflow team.
Uses OsirisX‘s works (3d acc., steam).
The Linux+Steam Distrib
PS4 with 1.76 FW
USB flash drive 8GB+
Any internet connection
USB hub (optional)
Download and unpack the image
Use a program that can write dd-images. As example, this is rufus
Use settings as pictured below
Locate PS4Linux_0.1.1.img and press Start
Insert prepared usb stick into your ps4, run PS4 Playground and click the “load linux”
All done. Password for root and ps4 is 1
Also, you can boot this distro on PC as any other live usb (F8 when boot logo appears).
Installing games and programs:
Boot prepared usb stick as any other Linux LiveUSB on your PC
Configure Internet connection
Download and install anything you want (even wine)
Download PS4 Linux + Steam Distrib
You can download the torrent file here